Saturday, August 4, 2012

Rote Prayer Rocks! #1

Taken from Magnificat, morning prayer for August 3rd 2012... 
From the prison of our sinfulness, let us cry to God for mercy:
     O Lord, listen to our prayer.
For those who feel hopelessly trapped by the baits of their sin,
grant them forgiveness and peace.
     O Lord, listen to our prayer.
For those who fear your anger,
show them also your love.
     O Lord, listen to our prayer.
For those who delay examining their decisions and habits,
let them see how quickly life passes.
     O Lord, listen to our prayer.


How easy it is, when pressed for time or stressed or in a non-reflective mood, to simply pray "Forgive me Lord!" and move on.  Not that that short prayer goes unanswered or is flippant or a poor prayer.  But there is often more to picture (or should be) than just that.  Our wounds often go much deeper.

I loved the balance of this short part of the morning prayer.  It does, indeed, beg God for forgiveness for the sins we've committed.  It is, as most all pre-fab prayers are, prayed not only for ourselves but for all of us; this takes the individual out of the center, which is a perspective we often need.

It is a prayer for those who are caught in their sin after giving in to temptations, that they will seek and be granted forgiveness.  We've all been there.  It is a prayer for those who fear God's wrath.  We've all been there (and how quickly I forget).

The most painful, for me, was the last.  I am too careless, too negligent, too lax.  I need to be reminded, not that God will forgive me so much as I need to be reminded to seek his forgiveness, oh wretch that I am.  I do not sit aloof while others wallow in sin... I'm the dense one that needs to be reminded that I'm actually sitting in the muck too.

THAT is why rote prayer rocks.

Rote Prayer Rocks! is a short, ongoing series highlighting some of the awesomeness that comes from pre-fab and rote prayers.  I do not share this to demean extemporaneous prayer, but to highlight the 'other side' to those of us who didn't grow up appreciating the power and view often given to us in a set prayer.  

1 comment: