Friday, February 18, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday (vol.2)

My first full week running a blog and what happens?  I get sick.  Sinus infection... my face feels like its been hit my a Mack truck.  That would explain why this is the only post over the past week.  I'm hoping to get one or two backed up posts finished in the next day or so once my brain escapes the crushing sinus pressure and can function again.



 - 2 -
My wife and I's last Valentine's Day without having to hire a babysitter and what happens?  We get sick.  Yup, next Valentine's Day our first child will be here.  So how did we celebrate our last romantic, couples-only St. Val's day? Since both of us were sick we sat in bed most of the day, rented a movie from Red Box, reheated leftovers and went to bed early.  When you can do that with each other for Valentine's Day, then you know its true love.  


- 3 -
I know what you're asking... what movie did we watch for Valentine's Day?  My wife and I decided on The Other Guys.  In my opinion, it is Will Ferrel's funniest movie since Elf and it had a lot of quotable one-liners.  There was a bit of gratuitous cursing and sexual references but nothing too over-the-top.  You know it had to be a funny movie when we laughed as hard as we did when we were as sick as we were.  The "tuna-lion dialogue" was probably my favorite scene.     


- 4 -




LEGO Pirates of Caribbean!  For those of you who are fans of the LEGO Star Wars and Indiana Jones video games, you may be pleased to know that the latest installment to this successful series is going to be LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean!!!  The other LEGO games were a lot of fun to play (for both kids and adults) and I am super-excited to see a LEGO Jack Sparrow, Davy Jones, Kraken and Mr Cotton's Parrot.  "...and then they made me their chief."  



- 5 -
Take a little whiskey for your cough or sore throat.  I didn't have much whiskey laying around the house, but I discovered that my personal favorite medicinal liquor was Cazadores Tequila Blanco.  Just enough burn to make my throat feel good.  However, I don't recommend taking multiple shots before teaching middle schoolers a Bible study.  No, I didn't learn that the hard way, I just know...



- 6 -
I don't really follow the Grammy Awards.  That is probably an understatement.  Let me try this: I don't care about the Grammy Awards at all. I never watch them.  I never listen to popular music on the radio.  When I go to the gym and they are playing the Top 40 over the speakers I silently pray a prayer a thanksgiving to God that I have an iPod and earphones so I don't have to listen to the Top 40.  I don't follow the Grammy Awards.  I had never heard of Arcade Fire before they won Album of the Year, but I was glad they won it instead of Lady Gaga.  Its nothing hateful or personal against Ms. Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, but I don't know how much I could stand living in a culture where a Lady Gaga album is the best we have to showcase. 



- 7 -
From record cold to record highs.  Just when I thought Old Man Winter had us firmly in his clutches for a few more weeks, it appears the Old Man got invited to a Bingo party and has released his death grip on us for a few days.  Shows how much I know.  Wanna know how warm it is?  I can see patches of grass for the first time in about 7 weeks.  

1 comment:

  1. 1. You don't want to start off too fast anyway. I did check your blog this week, so I'm sorry the non-posting was due to an illness! Get better!

    Amen, brother! Lady Gaga should go back to whatever cartoon from which she emerged.

    I look forward to any posts you're willing to share about this "major decision in faith" that your bio mentions!

    ReplyDelete