Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Year-long writer's block? An update of sorts...

I'm under no delusions; I know I don't have denizens of adoring fans out there reading my material.  However, such a long absence  on my part does require an explanation. ("There is no time to explain, allow me to sum up." - - Indigo Montoya).

Since I last posted there have been some major changes in my life.

  • In July my wife and I had our first daughter, the lovely Norah.  She is now 8 months old, crawls all over the house, growls like a dinosaur, eats electrical cords, poops on two three four pairs of clothes a day and is a source of love and entertainment in our household.
  • In early January my wife's father passed away.  He had been dealing with several illnesses and injuries and everything caught up with him rather quickly.  He is very much missed.
  • Also in January I handed in my resignation as youth pastor at the Baptist congregation where I had served for 5.5 years.  For a lot of reasons it was simply time to move on.  I am truly grateful for my experience there.  
  • In February we moved to my wife's hometown,  Nashville, TN.  More stress with packing up, saying goodbye to old friends and getting reacquainted in new surroundings.  I am currently unemployed, but money is coming in thanks to some quick thinking by my dear wife.
  • For reasons talked about in posts on this blog, I am no longer comfortable being a Baptist youth minister (or a Baptist at all).  My wife and I are working together on what God is calling us to (I'm strongly leaning towards the Catholic faith, my wife is leaning the other way, but we are both leaning on each other in love).  It is an exciting time even though I feel adrift.
  • My name actually isn't David Peru (sorry, sorry).  For fear of losing my job I didn't post with my real name at the time.  That isn't so much a concern anymore.  My name is Michael.  Sorry for the deception.  

So there it is.  Life has changed a lot for me these past few months and my writing will reflect this.  As I am settling into a routine now, I hope that I can post regularly again.  I will still discussing my faith journey and other information, thoughts and questions relevant to that.  I will also post random, goofy nonsense (you don't work in youth ministry for 12 years and not exhibit symptoms of ADD).

I also have a new aspiration for some of my posts.  Since resigning as youth minister I have made it known to a very select (and very dear) few people in my life that I am interested in the Catholic faith.  Since most everyone I know is a biblicist Evangelical, it is understandable that they ask a lot of questions and bring up a number of concerns about the Catholic Church.  Some of my posts will be the result of the ongoing questions and conversations I am having with friends and family members.  I hope some of these posts can be a resource for them, providing a useful launchpad to help them find answers to their questions.  Any feedback or additional guidance that could assist me or others with that mission in the form of comments is most welcome.  Even more, I will appreciate your prayers as my journey continues.

2 comments:

  1. Michael -

    Awesome. Nice to have you back blogging. I like your writing style and I'm looking forward to reading more from you. I was one of your adoring fans who was chicking this blog for new posts regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered off & on what you were up to.

    "a source of love and entertainment" Yes. As people, children are very expensive; as entertainment, they're the deal of the century.

    ReplyDelete